With a bit of magic and a few chants of “Roll Tide”, The University of Alabama’s Culverhouse College of Commerce welcomed the 28 men and women of the 34th Tuscaloosa Executive MBA Class for orientation. During the two-day event, students were introduced to their fellow 2019 classmates, faculty and staff. Engaging in a bit of friendly competition during the EMBA Scavenger Hunt gave them the opportunity to explore campus. Students also learned about program expectations.
“One of my dreams has always been to earn my MBA from The University of Alabama, but I never had the opportunity because my job often required me to relocate,” stated Jason Kennedy. “Now I’m back in the southeast and I feel honored to be here. It’s a dream realized.”
The TEMBA Class of 2019 ‘s average age is 39. It has 15 years of work experience on average. The class 82% managers, 14% vice president (C-level or owners of companies), 4% professional, and 31% military (defense or veterans).
“Its always exciting after an intensive recruiting season to finally see the group together for the first time,” said Donna Blackburn, Director of EMBA Programs. This year’s EMBA 2019 class represents a great cross-section of industries and backgrounds, and we look forward to working with the new class.
The events of the first day eased students into their new roles as teammates and class leaders. Students also took part in a collaborative exercise generating connections, strengthening networks and building social capital. During the second day, they were treated to a Disney Institute workshop.
Magic filled the room as teams from the newest Huntsville EMBA class joined in on the fun to learn about Disney’s Approach to Employee Engagement. The two groups explored the four aspects of Disney’s culture (employee selection, training, communication, and care) that foster employee engagement.
In addition to Walt, Mickey and Minnie, the EMBA Alumni Network board members Jennifer Thomas (TEMBA 2014), Russell Shamburger (TEMBA 2004), and John Nettles (TEMBA 1993) welcomed the incoming classes.
2018 T-EMBA class members are:
- Ryan Baldwin, HCA
- Tony Berenotto, US Army
- Mary Margaret Carroll, Fine Geddie & Associates
- Darrin Chatham, Darrin Chatham, Financial Advisor
- Yolanda Coleman, Vincent’s Health System
- Alix Connor, The Sanders Trust
- Doug Cornelius, US Air Force
- Lance Ezelle, Alabama Farmers Cooperative
- Jason Frase, Symcor/Pier Associates, LLC
- Gifford Haynes, A. Renfroe
- Robert Henry, Plexus Technology Group
- Chris Howard, Valmont Coatings
- Jordan Jaggers, The Distribution Point
- Jason Kennedy, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Pamela Laffitte, Mobile County Sheriff’s Office
- Josh Lawley, Birmingham Alabama for Rent
- Mia Simpson, Consultant
- Cory Skipper, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc.
- Tamara Smoot, Dean Foods (formerly)
- Ray Snead, Snead Group LLC
- Jeff Stewart, (retired)
- Ric Sweatt, Cox Communications
- Rob Terry, Par Pharmaceutical
- Josh Thompson, Cascades Sonoco
- George Tutt, The University of Alabama
- Shaun Williams, Tuskegee University
- Colby Wilson, Mercedes-Benz U.S. International, Inc.
- Frederick Windham, Bayer Healthcare